Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sweet Sixteen- a Special Report from FindingMyPeople


Dear Readers, 
I will have to again postpone the great great grandfather story (first great as in awesome, and the rest as in an adjective for a really vieux homme). But I would like to tell you about Meghna, whose sweet sixteen we just celebrated.

I have known Meghna, who currently is a fellow H.S. student, since third grade, when we had a group of four best friends at my old school. I always remembered her as a very humorous, down-to-earth, and cool person, and she hasn't changed one bit. I remember how she could do perfect Pokemon imitations (some crazes should have never gone out of fashion)!

Today, Meghna came to the Turmeric Restaurant, all dressed up to attend an Indian wedding, that she didn't exactly want to go to. As she opened the door, the traditional marriage music was pervasive, and the setting was dark and moody. What a delectably boring and horrid wedding this would be? Some priest would be chanting some mumbo jumbo rites, and the guests would be a'twitter about everything and anything. As she entered, the sweep of her saree end as her father and her little sister lead her in was just audible over a muffled nervous breathing (probably the restless guests) coming from the interior of the restaurant. She had been forced to wear the saree, and though her friends had tried to make her feel better about going to a random ceremony, what fun was a wedding when she knew no one there. 

"Meghnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!" we shouted, intermixed with yelps and what sounded like wounded barks. The lights flickered on to reveal a fantastically vibrant array of friends and family who had come to celebrate her coming of age. As if like a the switch, her smile lit up the place further, and even though she was initially silent, it was a happy silence.

Little confetti poppers were duly popped, and I had the duty, along with a friend, of sprinkling rose water over her and draping her in a Miss Congeniality-like pageant band thingy. The cameras flashed for the entire evening (hey, somebody needed to be the papparazi). And all I could think about was how amazing life could be. Meghna was entering adulthood, and so were we all, her friends. 

The poignancy of this thought was driven home further as near the end of dinner, her mom added a tiara to her head, to signify her rite of passage. 

We, all her friends, savoured this moment with her, and I know now that growing up can't be the end of the world. 

Best wishes Meghna if you read this blog- sorry if I embarrased you further! and to all my family and friends! And happy bday to S. whose s.s. is soon.
I would like to take this moment to thank my lucky stars for the life I have the privilege to lead.

My People

photo-credit: http://www.tutu.com

p.s.

Please suggest people you would like me to write about if you have a strong preference etc.

5 comments:

  1. aw nilesh! you have such a distinctive writing style. i love your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwwwwww nilesh!!
    thanks so muchh
    i'm glad to have you as a friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah this is meghna btw haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was very well written btw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to let you know, pageant band thingy = SASH. :)

    Also, I love the line "I would like to take this moment to thank my lucky stars for the life I have the privilege to lead." :)

    -SG, the "G"

    ReplyDelete