Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Alicia Appleman-Jurman-- Human Light


What do we learn from our heros? Perseverance. Honor. Strength. Love. Easy words, and I can't even begin to comprehend their application. But these abstractions describe one venerable San Jose resident in the least abstract way.
Alicia Appleman was a young Polish Jew during Hitler's reign of brutality in much of Eastern Europe. The last surviving member of her immediate family, Mrs. Appleman-Jurman has touched hearts through her courage and her fortitude. Thoughout her memoir, Alicia- My Story, she comes across as an average girl thrown into extraordinary circumstances; she is really anything but ordinary. Starvation and dehumanization-- Alicia maintains her spirit and her dignity. The most impressive part of her memoir is her empathy for all of humanity, and her burning zest for life.
I mean, how much more can one be marginalized than being denied a place with other children in a school room, being segregated in a tiny liquidation center, and then being shot at every opportunity? But Alicia managed to live and perhaps even thrive.
When I read her memoir in the seventh grade, little did I know that it would affect me enough (I was in tears and an alternating hysteria for much of it) to phone Mrs. Appleman-Jurman to come visit our school. At that time, she lived in the Bay Area. Knowing full well how she would have to discuss a period in her life that had so haunted her, she still came, prepared with a dvd recording of her lecture series to help us, students, understand the girl she was and the woman she has become.
I remember once during her visit, we asked her how she had rebuilt her life, as she declines to discuss too much her emotional distress. She replied simply that she had love in her heart, and that she needed to survive in order to tell the saga of her family and life. After a period of photos and eventual book signings, I wanted to ask her what she would do now that her memoir was over and done with--unlike some other survivor stories, the royalties from the book were relatively small. I never had the pluck to do so; thinking on it now, if one girl could face the entire might of Nazi Germany and then survive the USSR (even founding a business run by orphans) prior to finding a dream in Eretz Israel, why was I so afraid of asking this question of a woman who was so open in sharing the darkest periods of her life?
I recommend her novel to anyone who doubts the power of humanity or anyone who cares to read about this amazing woman. Even Holocaust-deniers cannot deny the simple, beautiful, and human soul that pervades the novel.
p.s.
Your life is not as bad as you think. Buck up and discover your strengths.
p.p.s.
If you can, please share an instance where you have had to display fortitude or have been the victim or even the perpetrator. I have filled both roles to a tee.


10 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, Nilesh.
    Ms. Appleman-Jurman's narration had me in tears as well. We never got to meet her, though. You were really brave to call her to your school. I personally feel that Alicia: My Story is a much more compelling story than even the Diary of Anne Frank... no offense to anyone, but Alicia seems so much deeper and concentrated on the atrocities of Hitler during WWII.
    Great job with this blog,
    Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Nilesh, this is a really inspiring story, I do have a friendly request though.. is it possible to change the colors of your blog because its really difficult to read =P I think this may be an issue with others too,and in that case I wouldn't want your stories to not be heard becuase of a trivial thing such as layouting.

    BUT I'm very impressed with your first post, and I commend you on calling her to come speak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes nilesh i have the same request as Amiti
    but this was an amazing story
    keep it up!

    love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog idea! Alicia came to Challenger Sunnyvale as well, and you're right. She's so inspirational, and hearing her speak was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved it when Alicia came to our school - she's such an inspiration for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your suggestions you guys! And thanks T., I will definitely change the formatting. I was having trouble myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her book. My grandmother gave it to me years ago, complete with an autograph from Alicia herself. Her story is so sad, yet touching and inspiring, it brought me to tears too. I think I learned to appreciate life more, after reading her book. I have such great admiration for her, for being such a fighter, for being so strong and wise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I go to Challenger too and am in 7th grade and we just got this book for a mandatory book report and I am totally glued to the pages! It's such a scary story but moreover a sad one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story really opened my eyes to how life was during the Holocaust and it made me value how lucky I am to live in this generation. I LOVED this book. Alicia...You are my hero and I hope to meet you someday. The book ALICIA: My Story real was soooo much better than The Diary of Anne Frank (no offense to anyone as well). I felt like a part of me is Alicia, but then again I have never had to go through something like Alicia had to suffer through, and only survivors will know what that was like.But, Alicia... you will always be in my heart. Thank you soo much for making a book of your life. It will be cherished forever and ever.
    LOVE: Angie AGE: 15 years old, California, Santa Rosa

    ReplyDelete